Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Church of Burlesque: If you build it, they will come!

I'm in the baby phases of manifesting a vision of the Church of Burlesque.  It's a space that houses a community resource center with a lending library and video screening room, rehearsal, class and performance space, meeting rooms with full internet access, housing for visiting performers and artists, a retail boutique with mending/costuming services, and a small juice bar/coffee shop.

I'm interested in community supported businesses, like CSA's and the new farm to table restaurants that are accepting "memberships" instead of applying for conventional business loans. I'm interested in patrons of the arts that want to stimulate new works, inspired by Amanda Palmer and her astounding vibrant artistic network.

I'm excited about strippers supporting strippers, and building a community that empowers disenfranchised counter-cultual artists to manifest their visions.  I'm in love with bodies, and I'm infatuated with those that use their bodies and their sexuality as a means of artistic, spiritual and political expression.

Ultimately, I see the stage as a Church, a place where I connect with my ancestral foremothers of erotic dance and embody femininity as a means to inspire and heal. At the Church of Burlesque, I believe that vision of community, connection, art, empowerment, and expression will have a home. Can I get a witness?

No comments:

Post a Comment