Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thoughts on Job Title of "Reigning Queen of Burlesque"

Some of my friends and colleagues here in Seattle have been teasing me about how I like to turn everything into a project.  It's kind of true.  I think of myself as an "idea girl".  I'm excited by new ideas. And I'm thrilled by the potential of this title, by the potency of this time, and by the power each of us have to make a difference through Burlesque.

So, the first thing I'm doing in this job is writing my job description.  For research purposes, this month I met with Lamalani, International Ms. Leather 2009, and Aleksa Manilla, Empress Olympia XXXV to discuss the duties and responsibilities of the titleholders in their organizations. The pageantry guidelines of the Seattle Imperial Court are very detailed and official.  They provide an interesting perspective on how a title can be used for fundraising and visibility.  Although the IMSL organization does not have their Titleholder Duties online, Lamalani shared a paper copy with me that she received from IMSL 2008 Hobbit.  I've been reviewing these for ideas about what kinds of things might be applicable to the Burlesque population. Next, I intend to talk to many of the Former Queens of Burlesque, Miss Exotic World Titleholders about their ideas on title duties.  As you can imagine, there is more to come. 

Meanwhile, this month I am performing at the Colorado Burlesque Festival and the Toronto Burlesque Festival, and teaching a new Burlesque 101 class here in Seattle with The Shanghai Pearl and Miss Viva Las Vegas 2011 Inga Ingenue.  Oh, yeah, and planning BurlyCon.

If you have any thoughts about what the duties of the Reigning Queen of Burlesque should be, please email me at suggestionbox@missindigoblue.com

Love and Tassels,
Indigo Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment