Sunday, June 5, 2011

Thoughts on my first 5 hours as the Reigning Queen of Burlesque

The sun is rising over the Las Vegas Strip and it's beautiful. Good Morning!

 About a month ago I wrote some of my thoughts down about what the Burlesque Hall of Fame means to me.  It was amazing and validating to hear *BOB* voice so much of the same sentiment in her opening talks on Friday night.  I've been buzzing with energy all night, and I wanted to share these thoughts. 

It's been 20 years since I started stripping, and over 30 since I started dancing.  But 10 years ago I made my first pilgrimage to the old goat ranch in Helendale, CA.  When I first walked into the museum in the trailer and saw 8x10 after 8x10 after 8x10 of hundreds of women with wardrobe, gimmicks, props, and stage names I'd never heard of, I (like *BOB* and many others) realized these were my ancestors. These were my foremothers, the founding females of this unique American art form. And as I have continued to study, learn, and teach, I see them as part of a much longer line of wise women: mystical alchemists with sexual magic and tremendous potency and power. 

We younger performers have a rare opportunity that will not last long; to get to know these foremothers, to honor their history by learning their stories.  I believe we should see them less as untouchable legends and more as potential friends: wise, seasoned, fun & experienced older people who performed in a different time and have experiences, jokes, and stories to share.

None of us are perfect. We may wish to pay homage and make mistakes. We may think we are unique and overlook our community. We are all, young and old, seeking our own place in whatever this community is and continues to become.  

My prayer and my wish is that we find our place, each and every one of us, standing squarely on our own two stilettos, holding the rhinestoned gloved hand of the performer next to us, smiling to our appreciative and delighted audiences, tassels twirling until the last footlight goes out.  

To that end, I offer my deep appreciation to all of those whom I have encountered in my journey thus far.  I am honored to serve the Burlesque Hall of Fame and the community, and I intend to do you all proud.

Love, gratitude, and tassels
Miss Indigo Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment